mixing

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Yarn

Post by Yarn »

Does anyone know anything about the sound of the new album? I mean, TWYCDIH was very different from WIPTF . . .

Clearly, this is band evolves. Which more times than not is a good thing, but I'm interested in where it went on this album.
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

I believe John said the new record will be sounding something like the second half of Blanket Hog.
Karousme

Post by Karousme »

Unremarkable wrote:I believe John said the new record will be sounding something like the second half of Blanket Hog.
So it's going to be an instrumental record?
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

Karousme wrote:So it's going to be an instrumental record?
heh heh, almost as cute as your new avatar

I've been wondering whether the Commander future mix and the x-mas song are an indication. Both seem different from the previous albums in how they are arranged.
To be honest, Christmas leaves me rather underwhelmed - too much on the cheesy side of the eighties turning nineties i.m.h.o. and I'd have to say I like the very basic versions of the Commander better than the future mix... but hell, let 'em do what they like.
Karousme

Post by Karousme »

I just pray for lots of sexual innuendo
heather

Post by heather »

Karousme wrote:I just pray for lots of sexual innuendo
You would hope for that, wouldn't you?
A Brutaful Smile

Post by A Brutaful Smile »

when john asked me a while ago what connor's favorite off of WIPTF was, i told him that we hadn't been listening to it much at that time. mostly because i was depressed enough as it was on my own and didn't really need the help. i was trying to listen to more upbeat music. he told me that the new album would be more uplifting(music wise at least, maybe not so much lyrically). this is what i'm hoping for. or maybe he just said that to make me happy...

now that i think about it....could this man write a happy song?

HEY JOHN!

I'm calling you out on a challenge. write a happy song. a completely happy song. musically and lyrically.

I DARE YOU!
Last edited by A Brutaful Smile on Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Post by grant »

The gauntlet has been thrown!
dchris

Post by dchris »

That Christmas song is pretty darn happy.
A Brutaful Smile

dchris wrote:That Christmas song is pretty darn happy.
not really. it complains about the holiday and i believe they decide not to celebrate it. the only "happy" part about it i guess is that the fictional female will be "gettin some".
aj

Post by aj »

what's with the quotation marks on "happy"?

I'd classify gettin some as a happy occasion. and who says the female is fictional?

everytime the long winters song plays, someone gets some.

that's way better than the angel wings thing.
A Brutaful Smile

actually i dunno what's w/the quotes on happy...lol. and in most circumstances gettin some is a happy thing.

i called the female fictional because we don't know who she is if she even is a real person so to those who don't know she would be fictional.
Betty Felon

Post by Betty Felon »

aj wrote: everytime the long winters song plays, someone gets some.
Awesome.
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

A Brutaful Smile wrote:
now that i think about it....could this man write a happy song?
don't get your hopes up...

between songs at the solo show: "obviously my super-sad songs are not having their desired effect."
NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Post by NatureBoy »

John's super-sad songs always make me happy, because there's a sort of hope in someone else feeling a bit like you do.
A Brutaful Smile

NatureBoy wrote:John's super-sad songs always make me happy, because there's a sort of hope in someone else feeling a bit like you do.
yea, but aren't you considered like clinical if you feel like that ALL the time.
some days i just wanna dance dammit!

also if the super-sad songs make you happy then reverse psychology must work REALLY well on you. ;)
NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Post by NatureBoy »

A Brutaful Smile wrote:yea, but aren't you considered like clinical if you feel like that ALL the time. some days i just wanna dance dammit!

also if the super-sad songs make you happy then reverse psychology must work REALLY well on you. ;)
Point taken, but sometimes it's hard not to hear happy songs and think they're being disingenuous...

Truth, in whatever tone or feeling is what I'm a fan of. Whether they're happy or sad in tone or feeling, songs by The Long Winters make me happy.
A Brutaful Smile

NatureBoy wrote:Point taken, but sometimes it's hard not to hear happy songs and think they're being disingenuous...

Truth, in whatever tone or feeling is what I'm a fan of. Whether they're happy or sad in tone or feeling, songs by The Long Winters make me happy.
i guess i would have to disagree w/you because i apparently buy in to all the happiness because that's what i want at that time.

i can see what you are saying, basically you enjoy the long winters, so in that respect i can agree w/you.
Yarn

Post by Yarn »

NatureBoy wrote:
I'm with you there, The Long Winters make me very happy. But when I think about it a little deeper, I realize that but a few songs make me depressed. I think this stems from the fact, that if I am enjoying a particular song, it makes me feel very good, and as a result, my mood increases positively.

There are bands that get me down. Bands like Pedro The Lion, and Iron and Wine. But even they often put a smile on my face.

I think, personally, the times when a song truly gets me down, is when I associate it with a negative memory, or time in my life. Which unfortunately, happens too much. The cure for this? Listen to that song a lot in great times, and it changes.
Ryan

Nora

Post by Ryan »

Yarn wrote:
NatureBoy wrote: I think, personally, the times when a song truly gets me down, is when I associate it with a negative memory, or time in my life. Which unfortunately, happens too much. The cure for this? Listen to that song a lot in great times, and it changes.
Agreed.

I think 'Nora' is one of the best songs I've ever heard, in my life, and it's quite possibly due to the thoughts of my ex-wife (which are far, far, far from fond). The plaintive '...Now I don't feel she feels the same way about me/I bet she wonders if I'll ever be who she dreamed I'd be/But she never says I love you 'til I say I love you/Like we're exchanging hostages/I guess it's all for the best, she knows what she wants, and I know what she's gonna get...' is probably the most horribly accurate depiction of how things ended up between the Mr. and Mrs. Schierling, and it seems to empower me to this very day. I'm far better off nowadays....

Now, I don't know if the same could be said after listening to David Dondero.