An Average TLW Concert

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Is TLW good live?

OF COURSE! Why the hell did you even ask?!
78%
Yeah, they're pretty awesome.
9%
Enh, I've been to better concerts.
No votes
It's not even worth going to the show.
13%

Total votes: 23

pluieverte

An Average TLW Concert

Postby pluieverte » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:31 pm

I'm so excited to see them live, and I just can't stop thinking about it. So, I was wondering what their concerts are usually like. How long are their sets? Do they do encores? What are their favorite songs to play? Are their any TLW concert traditions? What is the crowd like? Do they play requests? Also, anything else I might want to know... (Please reply, thanks!) (Oh, and also, the poll was just for fun- I'm going to the show no matter.)

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:50 pm

Alright... in order...

Their concerts are usually amazing. John has such a great stage personality, it really brings a lot of life to the live show. I have only seen them play once where they weren't opening for another band, so I couldn't say accurately how long they play for. That one time was just under 40 minutes, but their recent Seattle shows were closer to doubling that, if my understanding is correct. Of the four times I've seen them, two times I've known their songs well enough to make requests, and they played both of them. You're best off requesting prior to the show, in my experience, than during. I haven't met the new recruits, but both John and Eric are terribly friendly and go out of their way to be helpful to you. Overall, I am confident that you will have a marvellous concert experience. Hopefully that helps!

Jessie

Postby Jessie » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:03 pm

The interaction with the crowd is fabulous. I thoroughly enjoyed the (sadly) one performance I saw.

junker347

Postby junker347 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:30 pm

picture war, terrorism, sadness.
the complete opposite is a long winters show.

A Mess

Postby A Mess » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:20 pm

I saw them with The Decemberists years ago. Amazing, amazing show. And this was before I was familiar with any of their songs other than "Blue Diamonds". The memory that stands out is the "no...you are"s from New Girl. I'm excited to see them now after being obsessed with all their music for awhile.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:36 am

live shows are one of the reasons why I like this band so much.
The setlist always varies at least a bit, especially when John is in the mood and takes lots of requests. That seems to depend on how long a particular line-up has been in place, and I guess it's also a mood thing, some venues inspiring more than others to just wing it.

As for what songs are live favourites, I am the mad fan who collects setlists and adds them to The Long Winters Library & Archive, which might give some insight. I'm quite curious how that will be with the new album, so keep posting those lists, y'all.

and yeah, if a band's banter is good enough to warrant its own banter page on a fansite, it must be pretty good. God, that page needs updating though.

In my experience, a headlining gig with one support act will give you about an hour of Long Winters live bliss, after which John needs at least 5 towels so as not to leave a puddle at the merch table.

did I mention yet how much I like to see this band live?

ImLost@Sea

Postby ImLost@Sea » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:45 am

I need the "My life is incomplete and my existence questionable because I have not seem them live yet" option added. Thank you.

Karousme

Postby Karousme » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:31 pm

They DON'T play encores.

They just play until someone kicks them off stage.

Burning Bride #7

Postby Burning Bride #7 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:39 pm

Encores are the worst gimmick in live music.

the new girl

Postby the new girl » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:39 pm

I haven't seen them since the era when some tall guy with curly hair was playing the keyboards, but the banter at those shows was great. I've heard a number of bootlegs of shows since then and the banter seems to be getting better and better as the other guys (Eric? It's hard to tell who it is from just the audio...) get more involved and talkative on stage.

I have a hard time paying attention to how long sets are because I just get caught up in enjoying the music (I have the same problem remembering setlists), but shows have never seemed really short (either as openers or otherwise). The only one that seemed a little rushed was in Spokane 2 and a half years ago (or so) when they opened for Death Cab and I think they got lost on the drive from Seattle because they were loading last minute and I think had to dump a couple songs.

They always seem to be cool about playing requests, and particularly enjoy playing "Whole Lotta Rosie." (and Freebird, but who doesn't love playing Freebird.)

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:27 pm

junker347 wrote:picture war, terrorism, sadness.
the complete opposite is a long winters show.

you speak the truth.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:57 pm

OK, what three idiots voted for Not Even Worth Going To?

junker347

Postby junker347 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:01 pm

yeah really, if you dont dig a TLW show, why would you bother hanging on their BB

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:07 am

Burning Bride #7 wrote:Encores are the worst gimmick in live music.

I don't know how it is in the rest of the world (it didn't seem like this the few times I saw gigs in England), but in the Netherlands encores somehow have become a fixture - you just know that you will be doing an encore unless you really really screwed up, it's more like a break to get some drinks from the dressing room. Only when a crowd wants you back for a second encore can you be sure you really did an outstanding job. Weird.

Burning Bride #7

Postby Burning Bride #7 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:39 am

All I know is that in the US every headliner band plays an encore. Even when people start heading for the door. Didn't the encore used to be something special for the people who stuck around a few extra minutes. Now everyone just waits for it.

I think it's more special if a band plays a second encore, without it being known that they do it on a regular basis.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:02 am

Agreed with Burning Bride. It's gotten to the point where I have heard a number of bands say "OK, pretend we just walked off the stage. This is our encore." The whole idea of an encore has become somewhat of a farce, and is now so rooted into the expected setlist of a band that a band schedules it on their setlist -- and then doesn't even leave the stage. What reason, then, is there to differenciate the encore from the main set at all? (No offense to the bands that have done it, because I have loved them all).

GMM

Postby GMM » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:15 am

I am yet to see them live (please, please, just one full band show in the UK, I will get there!) but it occurs to me that The Long Winters are one of those bands that could not possibly dissapoint me live because they do not have any songs I don't like. (Other bands/artists in this category: Harvey Danger, Radiohead, Ben Folds)

pluieverte

Postby pluieverte » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:21 pm

Off topic, but ben folds is amazing live, he's such an entertainer. He's funny and a great musician.

Oh, and, Liesbeth, thanks for posting those links. :D

GMM

Postby GMM » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:36 pm

pluieverte wrote:Off topic, but ben folds is amazing live, he's such an entertainer. He's funny and a great musician.

Oh, and, Liesbeth, thanks for posting those links. :D

Amen. He's brilliant.

Ba-ba-baaaa, ba-ba-baaa, ba-ba-ba-ba-baaaaa etc.

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:02 am

sour29 wrote:The whole idea of an encore has become somewhat of a farce, and is now so rooted into the expected setlist of a band that a band schedules it on their setlist -- and then doesn't even leave the stage. What reason, then, is there to differenciate the encore from the main set at all?

The only band in recent memory who has done a good job of this is The Weakerthans. They took requests from the audience, and rocked out, maybe with an abovious plan on the last song, but a lot of really great old songs, and rare ones, just for the folks screaming them throughout the show. That's how encores should be.

Ben Folds' shows used to be a little bit better then they are now.

Return to “Give Me a Moment”