The Official Petition to release Through With Love thread.

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

The Official Petition to release Through With Love thread.

Postby sour29 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:06 pm

Dear Mr. John Roderick, King God, Mang, &c.

My recent works with socio-political groups have piqued my interest in various rights to unrestrained freedoms. First it was Human Rights -- then, Animal Rights. Then I got to thinking, why doesn't music have rights? And thus, I started a call to arms, demanding equality for songs everywhere. They don't ask for much -- no affirmative action, no welfare or social security, or any other such handouts. Merely, they want emancipation. They want amnesty. They want to be free.

I have personally set my sights on one very visable target, in which I hope the successful acquisition of rights for this song will create an unstoppable chain of events until music everywhere can share the same rights that we, in the Western World, enjoy in our day-to-day activities. That song is "Through With Love" -- originally performed by the Western State Hurricanes, and hopefully soon to be performed by The Long Winters.

So, as the first advocators of Music Rights, we kindly request that you do everything you can to aid us in our goal in garnering autonomy and sovernty for Music everywhere. Thank you.

I hope that you will all join me in my crusade by signing a petition that will be printed and delivered to Mr. John Roderick by hand October 4th, 2006 at Lee's Palace in Toronto, Canada.

I have created a Petition Online page for ease of use. Besides, that makes it legit AND credible, right? Tell your friends!

GMM

Postby GMM » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:19 am

Ok! Because online petitions TOTALLY work!

;)

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:05 pm

although I would like a LW version of Through with Love, I cannot sign this petition, because I do not believe in this right of a song.

The song is out there in a recorded version and can be found for who wants to hear it - once it's out there an artist has little control over that. But to tell the artist that the song has a right to be performed? Nope, I don't believe in that. All we can do is express an interest in hearing a LW version, and then it's up to John to follow that up or not.

To follow through on your line of reasoning, if this emancipation really works the way you ask for, music might start demanding NOT to be performed anymore, and then where would we be??

Nice try though.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:26 pm

For the record, this thread is only 17% serious.

LoveSickJerk

Postby LoveSickJerk » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:02 am

sour29 wrote:For the record, this thread is only 17% serious.

Its the remaining 90% perspiration you give TLW that makes me love you.

No You Are
Current Heading: North

Postby No You Are » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:34 am

Liesbeth may be on to something here...

I'm starting a petition to STOP the playing of that Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy song by Big 'n Rich. Seriously, please stop it.

Think of the children.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:24 am

LoveSickJerk wrote:Its the remaining 90% perspiration you give TLW that makes me love you.
<3

And YES! BY GAWD, YES! about that cowboy song.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:05 am

hey, I can think of some more songs I want to come to their senses and grow up already. Can I still sign that emancipation petition?

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:49 am

Yup! :)

bijou

frankly the one i want on the list is...

Postby bijou » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:43 pm

frankly the only one i want on the song playin' cease and desist list is... "God Bless the USA", that awful song has got to go. everytime you think it has lived out it's weak possibilities ten times over and his ascap revenues have found their overdue end, someone else in radio has to pull it out of their ass and put it back into rotation somewhere... usually the place you have to spend hours waiting on telephone hold while the phone plays that insipid waste of musical time signature.... (another reason you can't believe popular music ratings, i wanna thump the guy who keeps red-lettering this one HARD...) especially whenever there is some jingoistic cause or american mortality tragedy to exploit. since i'm personally in possession of a slight twangy accent that often initiates the assumption i left my brain on a train... just because sometimes i sound like ellie mae, doesn't mean i'm really a bumpkin... <i>"cuz ahm prowd to be an amurikin!!!"</i> Ackkk!!!
Last edited by bijou on Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NatureBoy

Postby NatureBoy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:53 pm

Wait, I named the film after a lyric from a song that's no longer played, by a band that doesn't even exist anymore?

I'm screwed!

Should've gone with Crime Doesn't Pay...

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:17 pm

NatureBoy wrote:Wait, I named the film after a lyric from a song that's no longer played, by a band that doesn't even exist anymore?

I'm screwed!

Should've gone with Crime Doesn't Pay...

I was just thinking the other day, though, that that title was so absolutely perfect.

How about if the Long Winters cover the Marilyn Monroe version? It's really good too...

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:31 pm

NatureBoy wrote:Wait, I named the film after a lyric from a song that's no longer played, by a band that doesn't even exist anymore?
Which sometimes make me wonder if you know something we don't, and you're holding out on us.

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:56 pm

sour29 wrote:For the record, this thread is only 17% serious.

would you have said that had you received 15 enthusiastic responses?

sour29

Postby sour29 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:14 pm

Yes, I would have.

The tone was supposed to come across as sort-of tounge-in-cheek. Although I'd love, love, love to hear a Long Winters version of Through With Love (thus the 17%), I wouldn't start an online petition to make that happen. And I certainly wouldn't do it in the name of "music liberation."

Liesbeth's statement that she also "would like a LW version of Through with Love" is pretty much showing the thread was successful in what it was really supposed to be...a big love-in for the song. <3

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:00 pm

sour29 wrote:Yes, I would have.

Although I'd love, love, love to hear a Long Winters version of Through With Love (thus the 17%), I wouldn't start an online petition to make that happen. And I certainly wouldn't do it in the name of "music liberation."

but you DID start an online petition to "make that happen." i love love the song too, but like someone said, do online petitions ever work?

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:09 am

well, at least it's not an e-mail petition, where you are asked to sign a list, and then send it to all your friends, and to a certain address when you're the 100th person to sign it. Is really someone sieving out all the double names such a pyramid e-mail system invokes? Right, that's what I mean.

the way I see it with this petition, the thing is that if only a few people chip in, saying they like that song, it could mean that they feel enough has been said on the topic, it could also mean that everyone else is so distracted by the loss of an Ozzie croc handler (or other dealings in life) that they cannot respond, but it could also be that some don't care much for the song.
I sometimes feel it's a shame that these kind of opinions aren't generally expressed on the board, because 'the artist might be reading it'. It's all nice to be a positive cheerleader bunch here, but it's nice to have the occassional dissenting opinion. Now I just wished I didn't like the song, so I could be that dissenter. Did I just invent a new word?

No You Are

Postby No You Are » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:55 am

I aint 'fraid of no artist.

No.. wait... "ghost"... that's it... I aint 'fraid of no ghost.

John terrifies me.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:18 am

chelsea wrote:but you DID start an online petition to "make that happen." i love love the song too, but like someone said, do online petitions ever work?

OK, should have said "serioiusly start an online petition". I thought it was a given that online petitions were a joke. Thus, the "Besides, that makes it legit AND credible, right?"

And Liesbeth -- I said in another thread that I don't like Prom Night at Hater High at all... same with (It's a) Departure. I have grown to like New Girl and a couple more listens of Rich Wife have totally won me over. But I maintain at least two Long Winters songs that I just can't stand.

chaplain

Postby chaplain » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:25 pm

oh

I thought this was about the documentary.

Throught With Love has the same initials as The Long Winters!

but, you probably knew that...

*back to lurking*

Return to “Give Me a Moment”