How about "No Winter"???

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

dianna

Postby dianna » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:54 pm

Still no really wintry weather in NC. It just got cold again, is all.

But they're calling for "Snow to Ice" tomorrow. I bet it'll just be freezing rain. Or just rain.

dianna

Postby dianna » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:06 am

Okay, I lied. It snowed last night. Hey!

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby Moni » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:28 am

Instead of snow we'll be getting a storm (winds up to 80-90mph) later today, tomorrow and then on saturday temperatures should go up to the seventies.
Looks like tonight could be a bad time to wear a dress. Meh.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:42 pm

same storm we had today/tonight? it was a western wind, could be heading your way now

worst one in years - the whole country came to a grinding halt.

Moni

Postby Moni » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:36 pm

Yep... I just got home and got online to see the news. It's already very stormy outside, the worst is supposed to hit here in the early morning, in 2 or 3 hours. The rain started pouring down just when I closed the door behind me.

I heard about the central station in Amsterdam getting its roof blown away literally, the main highways in Austria are closed, in most areas in Germany and Austria there are neither trains nor planes going. Oh and apparently there's danger the brand new central station in Berlin is going to collapse. More than 20 people have already died in Europe, and the storm is still gaining force. Unpleasant. I hope we'll still have power tomorrow morning.

Harvey Winters

Postby Harvey Winters » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:13 pm

FINALLY!!!]

Snow in White Plains, NY...
Well, it was a bit less than a "dusting",
but it was nice to see white on the ground...

sour29

Postby sour29 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:08 pm

We had our first real snow fall (about 16 weeks late) this past Monday. Consequently, there were a reported 600 car accidents along Toronto's highway systems on that very same day. Yikes.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:07 pm

on the same day of this storm, a Dutch committee presented a report on global warming. Their conclusion: there are no known physical causes to account for the fact that the past 30 years have seen so much record-breaking weather and it's too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence. Yes, man is guilty of at least some of the current climate change.

guess I'll have to start thinking of moving somewhere a bit higher over sealevel - and all you people must get rid of your big gasoline-guzzling Hummers, please. Think of my poor wet feet.

carlitos

Boulder Weighs In

Postby carlitos » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:00 am

Colorado:

We have had 4 snowstorms on 4 consecutive weekends (two of which were bona fide blizzards) and are looking at our 5th today... at one point as I was shoveling my sidewalk for the umpteenth time I believe I muttered something about "... bloody long winters... grumble grumble...".

http://picasaweb.google.com/carlitos235/BlizzardOf2006

Im headed to WA next week, where parents and friends inform me they have had snow as well.
Last edited by carlitos on Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

carlitos

Share Your Horror Stories

Postby carlitos » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:06 am

This begs the question:

What city has the worst drivers when it snows?

Not too bad here, a few California transplants get panicked (um, like me my first couple years truth be told) but mostly people can handle it. There are always the "I have four wheel drive so I am going to tailgate you and drive 50 down a residential street" types; always nice to turn the corner and see them in a ditch.

My friend Mont registers one vote for Seatac area- quote: "It was only a few inches, but everyone was driving like a bunch of dicks"

Harvey Winters

Postby Harvey Winters » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:27 am

18+ inches expected from today until thursday...
Drivers, stay AWAY from the UTILITY POLES!!!

Rich

Return to “Cattywampus”