Sessions on West 54th

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

h4ck
Current Heading: East

Post by h4ck »

woohoooo!! downloading now!!

thanks!!
Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Moni »

Jason, 2 questions:
- what does "transcode mp3" mean?
- would it be possible to split the file into 2 or 3 parts? that would make my downloading much eaiser :)
sour29

Post by sour29 »

Transcode MP3 is something that was MP3, was burned to CD, and then re-ripped to wav and encoded again to MP3. So basically, it's double-compressed. Twice as lossly. Very bad. If it's a 192kbps MP3, the quality is actually usually at least half that.

In theory, it would be possible to split the file into two or three parts. In practice, between the time it would take to split, re-encode, upload, and then link... well, it might take a while to get around to doing. Especially since the re-encoding it will lower the quality again. So, for the time being, the answer is "probably not, no". One of these days, I could probably make a split archive in RAR format for download... but realistically, re-uploading something that was just uploaded in fantastic quality isn't at the top of the priority list.

But I do want to make this easy for any and everyone to grab, so if you -- or anyone else -- is having problems, I highly recommend a download-resuming software package. I use GetRight, and I think it's marvelous. Basically, if you lose connections or the file doesn't properly download, you can resume your downloads without having to start from scratch again. Also good if you find the server speed starts to slow dramatically: you can cancel the download, and reconnect and start right back where you were -- often with a much faster connection. Let me know if that solves your problem. If not, I'll try to get the RAR option done in the next week or two. Good compromise? :)
h4ck

Post by h4ck »

i used to use getright when i used windows. was a great application.. loved it.

thanks a ton for this, i have reserved an 860 meg space in my ipod's heart for the long winters.
Moni

Post by Moni »

sour29 wrote: In theory, it would be possible to split the file into two or three parts. In practice, between the time it would take to split, re-encode, upload, and then link... well, it might take a while to get around to doing.
Oh god, no please don't do that. I'm sure there'll be a much easier way for me to download this :)
Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Post by Liesbeth »

ossum!!
muchos thanks

ps if a european snail mail deal is needed, just send me a postal penguin
kyle_s9

Post by kyle_s9 »

oh nice!, thanks!
oh and sour_29, you gunna be at the Vanderslice show? i'll be selling merch
Moni

Post by Moni »

Liesbeth wrote:ps if a european snail mail deal is needed, just send me a postal penguin
Well I hope I can do this all by myself this time :D
But maybe I'm gonna send a rockhopper your way anyhow. So if you see something black and white zooming by your window....
sour29

Post by sour29 »

kyle_s9 wrote:oh nice!, thanks!
oh and sour_29, you gunna be at the Vanderslice show? i'll be selling merch
Yessir. I saw that on the Barsuk boards. Thought I'd sent you a PM about it... I also heard through the grapevine that you're my competition in town as Barsuk street teamer.

I didn't know there was more than one, but I was out postering for Rocky and Smoosh, put one up, and then noticed that there was already one right beside where I was doing it. Thought I was crazy for a bit.
h4ck

Post by h4ck »

man, i was gonna see JV last night.. i was too damn tired tho. sucks i missed him.
kyle_s9

Post by kyle_s9 »

stay off Queen W, that'y my turf.
lol, but what's the grapevine?
and i saw jv and rocky posters at lee's the other night
sour29

Post by sour29 »

Pfft. I was postering Queen St. when you were still in one-piece pjs, son. ;)

Do you have a copy of this show already, Kyle? If not, I can burn a copy and bring it for you.