An explanation, por favor

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

call me stupid

An explanation, por favor

Post by call me stupid »

I just recently broke out LW's first cd, and I didn't realize how much I miss it. Right now, I can't stop listening to 'unsalted butter '. My question is, what does that phrase mean, "unsalted butter" ?
A Brutaful Smile

Post by A Brutaful Smile »

maybe i took it too literally but i thought it meant exactly that...unsalted butter. ever had butter w/o salt in it? it's pretty icky tasting. to me the whole thing made sense. "unsalted butter is my punishment" cuz IT'S BAD! YUCK!
call me stupid

Post by call me stupid »

A Brutaful Smile wrote:maybe i took it too literally but i thought it meant exactly that...unsalted butter. ever had butter w/o salt in it? it's pretty icky tasting. to me the whole thing made sense. "unsalted butter is my punishment" cuz IT'S BAD! YUCK!
Yeah, I'm aware of that aspect of it....I guess I just thought it went a little deeper than that. But then again, sometimes the most obvious answer is the correct one.
Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by Moni »

Well in Europe salted butter is just as common as people who think Prince Charles is a sex God. I hate salted butter, honestly.
Maybe that song needs a EuropVersion. wouldn’t that make a neat b-side for the first single!
huck

Post by huck »

salt is added to butter as a preservative and for flavor, but most really good cooks will go for the unsalted kind, which is a lot sweeter than salted butter, and also contains less water (which makes it better for baking and frying). plus, it gives you a lot more control over the flavors of your dish -- the amount of salt added to butter varies wildly from brand to brand. if you go with unsalted, you can add or not add salt, depending on your own tastes.

so, to me, that song makes no sense, is what i'm sayin'. but maybe i just need to cut down on the hours spent watching the food network?
agnew
Ombudsman

Post by agnew »

It's unclear whether he means that he considers unsalted butter his punishment, or that she is trying to punish him with unsalted butter and he's wondering, "what the fuck?"
LngHrvWntrsDngr

Post by LngHrvWntrsDngr »

LURPAK!
eric!

Post by eric! »

salted butter rocks. unsalted butter doesn't rock. yet the song rocks?

discuss.
LngHrvWntrsDngr

Post by LngHrvWntrsDngr »

i like unsalted butter!!!!!!
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Post by Unremarkable »

eric! wrote:salted butter rocks. unsalted butter doesn't rock. yet the song rocks?

discuss.
I concur.
Midori

Post by Midori »

Speaking of questions about things, in Medicine Cabinet Pirate, what does the line "Two Romulans over" mean? Are they the same Romulans from Star Trek? And two over from where?
Splitcoil

Post by Splitcoil »

Having been in relationships with stupid, shallow, spiteful people before, I can imagine putting 'salted butter' on a shopping list and instead getting unsalted butter as a stupid, shallow, spiteful jab at me. As in, the individual is too inarticulate and too much of a coward and a weakling to SAY anything, so instead they strike back with unsalted butter.

Boy, that makes my love life sound healthy. Even without considering the health implications of butter in one's diet.
Midori

Post by Midori »

Splitcoil wrote:I can imagine putting 'salted butter' on a shopping list and instead getting unsalted butter as a stupid, shallow, spiteful jab at me.
I don't think he gets unsalted butter out of spite, I think he gets it because whoever was buying it for him was too indifferent to him to see what he really needs. He wanted salted butter, but he got unsalted butter because the person just didn't care about him.
eric!

Post by eric! »

butter's good for you. just look at the french.
John
King God, Mang

Post by John »

Remember: Unsalted butter is 'healthier'. That's a clue.

And Romulans... well, can you think of anyone that looks like a Romulan? Besides a Vulcan, I mean.
eric!

Post by eric! »

Leonard Nimoy does a little... ;\

regardless, does this discussion of 'star trek' residing in song lyrics officially make the long winters purveyors of "geek rock"?
meg
Mod Emeritus

Post by meg »

John wrote:Remember: Unsalted butter is 'healthier'. That's a clue.
Rock and roll scavenger hunt!
omphale

Post by omphale »

I have a feeling I'm seriously out of the loop on this one, but for the record *I* look like a Romulin when my hair is short.