Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix

Photos, links, media appearances.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

junker347

Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix

Postby junker347 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:34 am

I recently stumbled upon this great shot that my friend took of John's pedal board:

and was trying to remember what the deal was with people giving him corn muffin mix... I feel like I've seen this happen before or heard it talked about... anyone?

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:40 am

Doesn't ring a bell, though Jiffy is some pretty good stuff, considering the low price; not sure how it sounds, though.

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:15 am

Alright, now time to identify the pedals (or is that for the Band Nerd section?). Off the top of my head are the easily spotted Boss Digital Delay and Chromatic Tuner...

Edit: Green Line is an Overdrive. Beside it (silver) is an LPB-1 by Electro Harmonix, which is a line boost. The cream coloured one beside that looks like it's probably the MXR Micro Amp, which is also a line booster?

I have no idea what the purple pedal on top is, nor the far silver one. I'm going blind squinting.
Last edited by sour29 on Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

longtimecoming

Postby longtimecoming » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:37 pm

hey i like that stuff. yay.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:29 am

never heard of this here muffin mix, in relation to the LW or elsewhere.
I looked into it and the Jiffy.com website says everyone in the USA likes this mix. Is this true? And to delve a little deeper, does anyone still bake by mixing the ingredients themselves? Ah, those deep questions in life can trouble me so.

zach

Postby zach » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:47 am

I'm from the United States, haven't ever heard of Jiffy beyond peanut butter and oil change places, and I mix ingredients myself when baking!

But I might be the exception and not the rule.

Harvey Winters

Postby Harvey Winters » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:49 pm

Baking rocks!!!
If you don't have a canister of flour in your home, you fail...

sour29

Postby sour29 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:47 pm

I also mix my own ingredients and concur -- I only know Jiffy peanut butter and Oil Lube. :S

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:58 pm

Jiffy makes box mixes of all kinds: muffins, cakes, pizza crusts, etc. They are inexpensive, unglamorous, and preferred by those of us who grew up in the 70's raised by single mothers and on limited budgets who don't know how to cook are impatient and like cake.

the new girl

Postby the new girl » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:09 pm

Jiffy baking mixes remind me of my Grandma's basement pantry... my Grandpa had bought cases of Jiffy mixes and Jello pudding at some auction sale way back when (probably the 70's, I vaguely remember discovering that the expiration date on the pudding was before I was born as a small-ish child) and I think most of it remained in the basement as some kind of strange playground for the grandkids (next to the noisy furnace that I knew was a train waiting in its little room to run me over when I crossed the bottom of the stairs as a small child...I was petrified).

Flyn

Postby Flyn » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:59 pm

Cook's Illustrated felt that the cornbread was pretty good, though obviously not as good as home made, which jives with my experience. I vaguely remember their pizza dough as being not very good, though I might be confusing it with Appian Way Pizza Mix, which is the least appetizing food packaging ever.

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:54 pm

Flyn wrote:though I might be confusing it with Appian Way Pizza Mix, which is the least appetizing food packaging ever.

i'll give you that, but the finished product is delicious! yes, yes.

oh, and speaking of jiffy mixes. i honed my love of baking on their blueberry muffin mix! unglamorous and inexpensive yes, but very tasty considering the time and effort that goes into preparing them.

i'm way into making just about everything from scratch these days, but on mornings before school when i was about 13, jiffy mixes couldn't be beat.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:46 am

I absolutely agree that baking from mixes beats not baking at all. Our brand is of baking mixes is called Dr. Oetker, which sounds a tiny bit more professional than Jiffy. Clever marketing.

sour29

Postby sour29 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:13 am

We have Dr. Oetker here! Strangely, I know that brand better than Jiffy!

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:53 am

While it was the Jiffy boxes in my home growing up, it's now Dr. Oetker boxes in my home right now.

Their varieties are abundant and inexpensive at the grocery outlet store around the corner from where I work, where I've bought paper bags overflowing with rations for 5 bucks, along with a 12 year old Star Trek: The Next Generation car air freshener for 15 cents.

If Worf ever took a dump in my car, it'd still smell galaxy class fresh!

My advice is to stay away from Dr. Oetker chocolate chip cookies though. In my experience those are always best made from scratch and not from a mix anyways.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:03 pm

Who knew tha Dr. got that far, huh?
I once met an Alaskan girl in France, who spent a full hour getting the chocolate chip cookie dough 'just right'. Since then I've never dared to attempt baking them myself, for fear that I could never reach that level of perfection. I love baking Scottish shortbread, it's easy and good and there is no mix for it in the shops (here anyway).

h4ck
Current Heading: East

Postby h4ck » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:32 pm

zach: i know grocery stores here in brooklyn suck, but jesus, have you never been to one?!
surely you've seen a box somewhere??

thats seriously amazing to me that someone could live this long without seeing a jiffy box!

zach wrote:I'm from the United States, haven't ever heard of Jiffy beyond peanut butter and oil change places, and I mix ingredients myself when baking!

But I might be the exception and not the rule.
[/i]

Return to “Swoon”