RIP, DFW

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Squid

RIP, DFW

Postby Squid » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:52 pm

Sharing with good friends because I'm in total, utter shock.

Novelist David Foster Wallace found dead.

I know I've talked about how much I love DFW before, so this seems the best place to share. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ouch.

sour29
Current Heading: Ascending

Postby sour29 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:21 pm

I don't know if I've ever heard of him before -- and I know I've never read anything, but that's still sad. I'm sorry. :(

EDIT: Not true. Brief Interviews... was something I always intended to read, but I don't think I ever did. I'll have to check it out and flip though a couple of pages and just see if I'm totally brain farting or not... but I know I wanted to!

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:22 pm

Yeah, i can't believe it. I have never thought about his personal life, from his essays he seemed so well adjusted. Wow. Suicide.

The strange thing for me, is that not even a full day before this news I was discussing him and the argument got really heated. Some british hag was all "I've never heard of him, but from the reviews he sounds like something only Americans would like, we british like to make fun of you guys, we even have a tv show about it."

"I told her she was a cultural luddite and, because the greater context of the argument was political correctness, I also called her aware-challenged. I'm so mature.

8 Hours later, this was on the news. Remind me not to fuck this chick anymore.

Squid

Postby Squid » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:27 pm

20 pts for "hag". Nicely done!

So Jace has passed on a commencement speech that DFW gave in 2005 which is awesome.

Also, for a full listing of all tributes and/or obits, check out The Howling Fantods. It's the DFW site - they have hosted Infinite Jest discussion groups, etc.

Return to “Cattywampus”