RIP Elliott Smith?

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Mite

RIP Elliott Smith?

Postby Mite » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:55 am

I've read a couple of rumors online that Elliot Smith died yesterday - can anybody confirm or deny? I found this which is apparently the official fan site, but no news stories anywhere.

stephanie

Postby stephanie » Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:37 am

here (and it's two ts, not one).

i can't fucking breathe.

defrocked

Postby defrocked » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:06 am

:( Still shocked. :(

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Postby grant » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:35 am

From The Guardian:

Wednesday October 22, 2003

US singer-songwriter Elliott Smith has died, according to reports. Websites and various radio stations are reporting that the singer passed away yesterday (October 21) at the age of 34. A statement from the Los Angeles County Department of the Coroner's office states that his death was apparent suicide. MTV.com reports, "A single knife wound that appeared to be self-inflicted was evident on the body, though police detectives are investigating the incident for foul play and/or other possibilities."

More at the link.

omphale

Postby omphale » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:51 am

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:34 am

THis is the worst news I've heard in a long time...I want to cry but I'm at work...

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:38 am

Image Damn, that really sucks.

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:10 am

no words
there's so much to say, but there's just no words...

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:14 pm

Has anyone else seen the frighteningly prescient review for Figure 8 at amazon.co.uk?

NatureBoy
Current Heading: North

Postby NatureBoy » Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:04 pm

grant wrote:Has anyone else seen the frighteningly prescient review for Figure 8 at amazon.co.uk?

Gave me chills...

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:35 pm

since i can't reply in that other thread for some reason, i'll say it here....

while i do find this sad and i was stunned to hear, i was not a fan. i just never got into that singer/songwriter style of musicians such as himself. i saw him a couple times by chance and altho i thought it good, i never ran out to purchase his cds.
i am not shocked very much by his death since i have heard he was a troubled person. i'm more shocked by his choice of death.

side note: his real name, steven smith, is also the name of my boyfriend. i found that out yesterday.

dear_prudence

Postby dear_prudence » Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:00 pm

the music is beautiful, yes
so this is where i crawl up and cry

Liesbeth

Postby Liesbeth » Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:18 am

I think you don't have to be biggest Elliott Smith fan in the world to recognize his contribution to music. That is, music as something you live, breathe, are, as opposed to a profit-driven industry.
To me Elliott Smith represented that, and - his choice to step out and his music aside - that is why it makes me so very sad to see him go.

Karousme

Postby Karousme » Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:33 am

Remember that scene from Royal Tennenbaums when "Needle in the Hay" was playing? Kind of eerie, huh

omphale

Postby omphale » Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:30 am

i have a general tendency to skip all the stages of grieving except anger, depression and acceptance. in this case, i've been vascillating rather wildly between them.

there was just no way for me to be shocked or surprised, either at his death or at the nature of it. i didn't know elliott, but i t was apparent to me in his music and his demeanor that he was just barely hanging on to what was becoming an increasingly tenuous grip on this world. so my first reaction was something like, 'oh, well, of course.'

but hot on the heels of that was a fierce kind of anger that i always have when people disappoint me, especially people with the kind of influence over young, sad, lonely people that elliott had. especially the intelligent, creative, kind people.

and then, for two days, i just sank into an all-too familiar funk, from which only the parisota hot club, a bottle of red wine, and hours of talking with my delectable friend rachael rescued me. and i realized that the thing that bothers me most about, not just elliott, but all the other artists and musicians and poets out there who have offed themselves, is that they are the folks that kids like the kid i used to be admire and respect and revere. and every time one of them dies because of drug use or suicide or good old fashioned stupid hijinks, it perpetuates this myth that i wore like a mantle for at least a decade: smart, kind, creative people just can't survive in this world, and be happy and forge good lives for themselves, no matter how hard they might try. and suicide/drugs/etc. are the tragically glamorous (inevitable) end for all of us born with the unfortunate affliction of being artists of one sort or another.

so, i guess i'm likely to go on thinking things like 'dammit, elliott, why couldn't you just take antidepressants and stop being so melodramatic?' for a while, and i'm likely to inflict some type of boring lecture on my kids about how it's definitely possible to be an artist and NOT be depressed, and i'd just like to thank TLW for, ummm, being happy and, ummm, not suicidal...and stuff. yeah.

ok, end of rant. (i feel very, very old)

manz

Regarding Omphale's interpretation of Elliot Smith's suicide

Postby manz » Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:05 pm

In fact, I'd like to posit that our own John Roderick is a testament to the fact that very smart, creative people can overcome the temptations of depression, forge much better lives for themselves, and come out better artists for it.

meg
Mod Emeritus

Postby meg » Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:05 pm

A friend of mine said it best, I think: "A world without Elliott Smith is a world I don't understand."

omphale

Postby omphale » Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:37 am

manz --exactly my point.

grant
wears the boots

Postby grant » Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:55 pm

Figure 8 as double four.

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:34 pm

I REALLY admired his music. I've been trying to make Either/Or both times I've gone into the studio, but I can't keep my hands off the synthesizers. That record is one of my top ten all-time.

Drugs kill.

Return to “Cattywampus”