Friendster

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Moni
Current Heading: Ascending

Friendster

Postby Moni » Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:19 pm

I fail to see the usefulness of this.

I hope that site is just a big cosmic joke and one day there’ll be a glorious punchline.

mildlyrestarted

Postby mildlyrestarted » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:09 pm

why must friendster be "useful"? it is the internet we're talking about here.

but actually, i have found it to be useful in the sense that i have "met"/met a few gems through the website. people to go to shows with, couches to crash on.. i love when people are too shy to say hello in public, but can muster up the courage to say, "i think i saw you at such-and-such, and you seem cool," in a friendster message and it works out. it seems to go against the general rule that friends don't like to have their friends "stolen" by other friends. you know, that old high school bullshit?mutual friends are always tricky.

writing tiny little autobiographies is something that i consider to be an art form, if done well. is this a sign of a generational gap? most definitely.

heather

Postby heather » Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:27 pm

i love friendster.

i have found old friends that i thought disappeard into the 8th dimension. [extra points if you can name that reference]

Midori

Postby Midori » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:24 pm

Buckaroo Banzai, no?

smelllikelime

Postby smelllikelime » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:20 am

I really like friendster because I can friendster cute boys in bands and pretend we're really friends. Okie, I really only have two or three cute guys in bands that I'm not really, really friends with.

I was just at friendster and seriously, why are people posting polls and stupid crap on the bulletin baord? Damn weiner kids.

omphale

Postby omphale » Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:49 am

the entire purpose of friendster, as i see it, is to have an excuse to write gushy over-the-top testimonials about all of your friends and post them for public perusal. this is 'useful' to me because i am ordinarily an utterly self-absorbed egomaniac and so it provides me with an outlet for my giddy happy feelings about the people i love.

and also, i find it highly entertaining to write scathingly honest self-descriptions.

but i have never 'met' anyone through friendster, nor do i care if i ever do. i have yet to meet anyone via the internet who had any interest in me other than my coochie in real life, and frankly, that just isn't that interesting for me. so if i were looking for 'friends', i would not consider friendster particularly useful.

it's all about the testimonials, that's what i say.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:34 am

i personally haven't found interest in friendster. i missed the first wave of interest because i thought of it as another thang. another message board, another livejournal, another time waster type thing. i have enough of those already that i felt i didn't need another thang and i didn't have the interest to even look at the site. eventually there was hype about it, people wrote articles on it and i went "ok, what's the big deal?" i looked, eventually caved and signed up and i think i have only been back to it a couple times since then. i really could care less about it.

i'm not sure how useful it is. i know like was mentioned many people have found old friends who've lost contact over years. and of course you can make new friends. but it seems it's almost a popularity contest. "whose got the most friends?"

so to wrap it up, i'm on friendster, my email is mombomb_1@yahoo.com, please be my friend. :D
;)

heather

Postby heather » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:32 pm

Midori wrote:Buckaroo Banzai, no?

yes. bravo!

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:59 pm

*slack jawed in disbelief* I can't believe someone just gave reference to Buckaroo Bonzai. And then someone else got said reference. Well send me an angel, Cru Jones, I'm about to skip my ACTs and ride Helltrack.

(Ok, that sentence didn't make sense, let alone fit with the paragraph, but anyone get that reference? Anyone?)

I have not tried Friendster because I was frightened off by all the hullabaloo surrounding it over the summer. (And I was too busy playing Hipster Bingo.) But from what I've heard, it sounds like an interwebstalking/people-collecting skinnerbox community. Very kickass cool.

But I have encountered Liz’s “not useful” argument before. And I have to wonder about it. Why is utility more valuable than, say, beauty? Or creativity? Or simple ridiculous fun?

I'm all about radio stations, newspapers, tour dates, movie times, driving directions, and running off to ask the wizard whenever I have a question. Yes, it's useful. But don't overlook the Internet as Entertainment.

Liz, let the Internet love you and you'll never be bored again.

Moni

Postby Moni » Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:55 am

i have found old friends that i thought disappeard into the 8th dimension. [extra points if you can name that reference]

Aww now that’s cool indeed :) (but no I can’t name the reference)

And now... my monthly essay on some MPSIMS(*)

Well with “useful” I meant What the hey are you supposed to do there. Seriously, this is the first time I hear from people who actually do something with it besides logging in once and then hardly ever again. That’s neither very artsy nor entertaining, right?
That’s what I meant... It’s not that I expected that site to save the rainforest :)

I guess a few years ago when I was fairly new to online communities I would have liked Friendster and used it as a means to get my share of online friends (cos all those other people I’ve never met have so many, too!). I remember the first time I was a regular user on a messagboard (imdb.com), I sometimes contacted people just because I thought we had something in common; we stayed in contact for a while, but not very long.

But right now I just don’t see why I should try to be friends with people just because we share 2 or 3 interests. And I have yet to see someone who’s written an autobiography that makes me want to contact him/her.
I’d even go so far to say that looking at my friends’ profiles, if I didn’t know them, I don’t think that their profiles (or my own, for the matter) would make me contact them. They’re great people, but that kind of sketch-like info doesn’t do them any justice and doesn’t really represent them well. I don’t feel like my profile gives an adequate picture of myself. There’s a list of stuff that I like, but that’s not what I am. (Okay I guess I am taking this too far into the “How real can people be on the internet anyway?”-area :)

I have gotten in contact with and met quite a few people I got to know online on messageboards and/or chatrooms/AIM, but only after having talked to them for quite a while. And when I finally met them they pretty much were like I was expecting them to be. But still I only became friends with very few of them, because sometimes all we had in common was a certain interest that chatroom/messageboard was about, nothing more.

It’s certainly handy when you are shy (and I’m very shy myself) that you can contact people online, but then I’m sometimes getting mad at myself for having e-mailed someone just so that I wouldn’t have to phone or actually talk (*gasp*!) to them. It’s becoming a really lame excuse to avoid face-to-face convesation sometimes. Tho I also have to admit I’ve had only bad experiences with people who’ve seen me and then contacted me online. Last one sounded like a freak.

To wrap this up, too:
it seems it's almost a popularity contest. "whose got the most friends?"

Certainly not me. Boo-hoo.

I think there are a lot of ways to get to know people online, but Friendster seems to be a rather weak contribution to that purpose, at least for my taste – to me it seems to be a bit too much on the exhibitionist/voyeuristic side.

(*) mundane pointless stuff I must share.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:58 am

when friendster was first introduced to me i thought 'oh another place to put a personal ad....i've already got one of those, pass.' then when someone told me they had connected w/old friends and now that i have seen friendster i realize that it's not quite that.
BUT...personal ads are the same way that Monika was saying about Friendster. there is no way to tell what a person is like until you meet them. you may find a few shared interests or come across an interesting person but w/o face to face contact you have no idea how you mesh w/this person.
i met one guy who altho we seemed to work together and hung out a few times i ended up really hating his personality. chatting online we were fine but out in public....sometimes i wanted to pretend i didn't know him. needless to say we are no longer friends.
i think all the meet ups and such that sites will have are a really good idea because you can meet people face to face and find out if you could be "real life" friends as well.

and btw....i did not meet my boyfriend online. the whole personal ad thing did not work out romantically for me but i did make one really great friend who i am so glad that i know.

warmfuzzysocks

Postby warmfuzzysocks » Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:21 pm

I do friendster (warmfuzzysocks@hotmail.com), i do livejournal, i do message boards, and i have done online personals thingies. I've met awesome people through all but friendster, where it's just people I've already met anyhow. Most of the people I've met via the internet have been only somewhat like I expected. You develop patterns with people online that you don't always have in person. There becomes a comfort level that a lot of times disappears when you meet in person. Liz and I can go on for ages typing nonsense to each other, but when we drove from Bowling Green to Cleveland, it was a pretty quiet car ride (i'm not wrong, am I?). Things got better, but still, it was weirdish at first. Blah, i guess i don't really know what i'm saying, but it's different online and in person. yeah.

sean
consigliere

well,

Postby sean » Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:16 pm

it's useful when you gotta write some shit for the stranger and you need a subject.

meg
Mod Emeritus

Postby meg » Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:25 pm

Well, I like Friendster. In theory. I even like the gushing and the whoring. Well, I always like the gushing and the whoring! What I do not like is Friendster, the site. The poor search features. The speed. The chances for connection that fall through because of poor execution and poor organization. Etc.

But I do like things. And I like it when people try them. It's just troublesome that in the eleven months I have been aware of Friendster, the site hasn't made any real improvements to its functionality or...good...ness.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:53 pm

Friendster has been around for longer than eleven months? ...I'm always so very late to the party.

meg
Mod Emeritus

Postby meg » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:01 pm

I don't know if it's been around longer, I just recall recieving an invitation from a particular gentleman (who should be updating the tour dates, ye gods!) back in January.

Moni

Postby Moni » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:33 am

meg wrote:But I do like things. And I like it when people try them. It's just troublesome that in the eleven months I have been aware of Friendster, the site hasn't made any real improvements to its functionality or...good...ness.

Aaaaaaaaaah I think I found you. “people who like giving high-fives”, huh? :)
Friendster = the perfect stalking tool. That’s it!

omphale

Postby omphale » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:47 am

Liz wrote:Friendster = the perfect stalking tool. That’s it!

i've also found it quite useful for keeping track of x-lovers and other people who really don't want me to know what they're up to anymore.

meg
Mod Emeritus

Postby meg » Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:02 pm

Yes: let it be known throughout the land of 'Ster: I want to meet friends, activity partners, and people who will high-five me. AND REALLY MEAN IT.

A Brutaful Smile

Postby A Brutaful Smile » Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:17 pm

omphale wrote:i've also found it quite useful for keeping track of x-lovers and other people who really don't want me to know what they're up to anymore.

and here is something i have always found interesting yet upsetting at the same time about the internet in general. people i am no longer friends w/or date, i am able to still know what they are up to w/o even ever speaking to them again. and really, i don't like that.

Return to “Cattywampus”