Unconventional Intro

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

User avatar
grant
wears the boots
Posts: 1485
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:16 am
Current Heading: West
Location: peninsular america
Contact:

Postby grant » Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:49 pm

The following is a fact that may be difficult to believe: I work with Bob Lind. In 1966, he had a chart-topping hit with "The Elusive Butterfly of Love," and is currently enjoying a kind of strange musical voguishness in Britain, thanks to a song on the latest Pulp album being named "Bob Lind (The Only Way is Down)." He was knocked out of the #1 slot by Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots Are Made For Walking."

He's a genuinely good-hearted and friendly man, and his hit song is an unabashedly idealistic rhapsody to love and dreamers.

And he insists, to this day, that anyone who claims they didn't start a band for the sex is lying. It might start to be about something else after a while, but that first step is always about getting laid.

I find it hard to disagree with him.

User avatar
Unremarkable
Posts: 1166
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:09 am
Current Heading: East
Location: Kennewick?

Postby Unremarkable » Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:32 pm

grant wrote:And he insists, to this day, that anyone who claims they didn't start a band for the sex is lying. It might start to be about something else after a while, but that first step is always about getting laid.


Would it be the same for all-girl bands?

User avatar
omphale
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:08 pm
Location: blue blue windows behind the stars

Postby omphale » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:38 am

well, my band is not an all-girl band, but i am a girl (at least physically) and it is my band and i did start it and what i have to say is that it's definitely more about masturbation (in the sense that mildlyrestared mentioned earlier) than getting laid.

meaning: my reasons for starting a band were much more along the lines of egomaniacal self-loving and attention seeking than sex per se.

that and the fact that i become a super-depressed alcoholic freakshow if i'm not writing, playing and performing music all the damn time.

Shane
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun May 25, 2003 1:18 pm
Location: Virginia

Postby Shane » Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:10 am

My favorites are Blanket Hog and Bride and Bridle. It's hard to not love all those stringed instruments in Blanket Hog. Bride and Bridle made me tear up the first time I heard it and it never fails to give me a catch in my throat. It projects such a powerful image. I didn't particularly care for Blanket Hog as a rock song when I first heard it at the 2002 Capitol Hill Block Party. But later John played it acoustically at La Pichet and I realized how beautiful it is. I think I like it best that way. My least favorite is "New Girl." Obviously I am grossly out of step with the rest of the world.

User avatar
Betty Felon
Posts: 1779
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:15 pm
Location: miserable degrees fahrenheit
Contact:

Postby Betty Felon » Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:17 pm

It's very interesting. We all seem to have different favorites and least favorites. You can't be grossly out of step when everysingleone's got thier own drummer. (though because I hear only my own drummer, I have to say that if you haven't heard New Girl live, you haven't heard it yet.)

Also, I'm glad there are people here who actively seek out things that make them uncomfortable. It's good for you. I mean...I don't particularly enjoy crying my eyes out at documentaries of the oppressed and mistreated peoples of the world...but it's important nonetheless.

I'm not sure it's quite as cut and dry with songs though. I don't even know in detail what Government Loans is about. However, something about it is very very disturbing. It's quite a challenge to listen to and brings me way way down.

(Man...I'm on a thinky kick tonight...nothing a little beer won't fix. thinky to drinky, just like that...)

User avatar
Unremarkable
Posts: 1166
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:09 am
Current Heading: East
Location: Kennewick?

Postby Unremarkable » Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:46 pm

Betty Felon wrote:I'm not sure it's quite as cut and dry with songs though. I don't even know in detail what Government Loans is about. However, something about it is very very disturbing. It's quite a challenge to listen to and brings me way way down.


Doesn't it say in the liner notes before that song, "She killed my friend, her hell is now"? That is kinda creepy. I think I remember reading an interview where someone asked John what he meant by it, and he would not tell him. Do they even play the song live anymore? I have only heard them play it once, and it was the first time I saw them back in September 2002. Not that I'm complaining.

User avatar
omphale
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:08 pm
Location: blue blue windows behind the stars

Postby omphale » Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:48 am

Betty Felon wrote:Also, I'm glad there are people here who actively seek out things that make them uncomfortable. It's good for you. I mean...I don't particularly enjoy crying my eyes out at documentaries of the oppressed and mistreated peoples of the world...but it's important nonetheless.


yes, exactly.

(now, get started on that bourbon before you think yourself into extreme discomfort) ;)

the hutch
Posts: 568
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:47 pm
Location: previosly no pic

Postby the hutch » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:58 am

do y'all think wether one likes or dislikes Blanket Hog might be dependent on one's gender? just a theory.

Omphale- your name makes me think of belly buttons. do your kids have cool names like foramen or vena cava?

User avatar
Betty Felon
Posts: 1779
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:15 pm
Location: miserable degrees fahrenheit
Contact:

Postby Betty Felon » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:11 am

[quote="omphale
(now, get started on that bourbon before you think yourself into extreme discomfort) ;)[/quote]

Burbon? No, my drinky friend. Ale.

"...And malt does more than Milton can
To justify God's ways to man.
Ale, man, ale's the stuff to drink
For fellows whom it hurts to think:
Look into the pewter pot
To see the world as the world's not.
And faith, 'tis pleasant till 'tis past:
The mischief is that 'twill not last..."


[/code]

User avatar
omphale
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:08 pm
Location: blue blue windows behind the stars

Postby omphale » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:16 am

no pic wrote:do y'all think wether one likes or dislikes Blanket Hog might be dependent on one's gender? just a theory.

Omphale- your name makes me think of belly buttons. do your kids have cool names like foramen or vena cava?


what's the theory exactly? that girls like it and boys don't? or vice versa?

and sadly, no, my children's names are not nearly so clever. but vena...that's not a bad name, actually....

User avatar
Liesbeth
Posts: 3259
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 4:27 am
Current Heading: West
Location: megaland
Contact:

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:24 pm

Betty wrote:Also, I'm glad there are people here who actively seek out things that make them uncomfortable.

To me, it's an essential part of why I like TLW so much. "If you find the real world let me know" drew me in, and "you put all your hopes in my slim chance" made me order the album without hesitation, which is something I had never done before.

grant, quoting Bob Lind wrote:And he insists, to this day, that anyone who claims they didn't start a band for the sex is lying. It might start to be about something else after a while, but that first step is always about getting laid.

Yuk.
So sue me for biting, but this sucks (no pun intended). It's the 'who claims' part of this that pisses me off. Just because this may be true for some, possibly many, to claim that it is so for everyone displays an amount of cynicism that I just can't cope with today.
Yuk.

the hutch
Posts: 568
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:47 pm
Location: previosly no pic

Postby the hutch » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:35 pm

oh, come on now-almost every human behavior is somehow, however remotely, motivated by sex or the lack thereof. and i'm not even freudian.

as for the Blanket Hog theory, i would posit that chicks dig it more than guys.

i'm still curious 'bout that omphale/umbilicus name.

User avatar
grant
wears the boots
Posts: 1485
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:16 am
Current Heading: West
Location: peninsular america
Contact:

Postby grant » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:50 pm

Liesbeth wrote:
Yuk.
So sue me for biting, but this sucks (no pun intended). It's the 'who claims' part of this that pisses me off. Just because this may be true for some, possibly many, to claim that it is so for everyone displays an amount of cynicism that I just can't cope with today.
Yuk.


Oh, we've had many a rollicking discussion over that one. What makes it so unusual is that he's anything but cynical in every other regard.

In some discussions, he has been willing to amend "get laid" to "get attention from cute girls/boys," but he sticks to his line on the general principle.

I wonder, though, about my own motivations behind my first band. I think it may have been more about proving a point to an ex-girlfriend than trying to find a new one. Sex and attractiveness was definitely tied up in it somehow.

User avatar
Liesbeth
Posts: 3259
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 4:27 am
Current Heading: West
Location: megaland
Contact:

Postby Liesbeth » Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:14 pm

no pic wrote:oh, come on now-almost every human behavior is somehow, however remotely, motivated by sex or the lack thereof. and i'm not even freudian.

I'm with you if you substitute sex with human contact.

And no, I'm not in a band, although I do write songs. Where does that leave me?

User avatar
meg
Mod Emeritus
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:01 am
Location: morningside
Contact:

Postby meg » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:19 pm

grant wrote:In some discussions, he has been willing to amend "get laid" to "get attention from cute girls/boys," but he sticks to his line on the general principle.


I think, in general, you could trim this to "get attention" and therein you will find a partial reason for many a body's career.

User avatar
omphale
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:08 pm
Location: blue blue windows behind the stars

Postby omphale » Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:49 am

attention seeking and self-adulation.

which actually ties in nicely with no pic's question about my name. which does, of course, mean belly-button, which is nice enough, but i chose it as my alias because of a greek myth involving a lydian queen, herakles, and the skin of the nimean lion.

i don't necessarily think it's all that cynical to think that starting a band (or anything else for that matter) is motivated by the desire to get laid. i mean, what's wrong with wanting to get laid? sex is some seriously good stuff, in case you hadn't noticed, and what, exactly, would you prefer people to be motivated by? divine inspiration? rage? narccissistic self-importance?

the hutch
Posts: 568
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:47 pm
Location: previosly no pic

Postby the hutch » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:34 am

well put.

this is reminding me of the P***y Song by G Love, "I don't have to have p***y after every show, but it helps..." he played it at the acl festival this year, n it was hilarious. (no apologies for the *, i just can't type that word).

User avatar
Liesbeth
Posts: 3259
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 4:27 am
Current Heading: West
Location: megaland
Contact:

Postby Liesbeth » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:04 pm

I'm not saying that seeking sex and/or attention cannot be a reason for people to be in bands, I'm sure it is for many, and to think so is not what I call cynical - nor do I think sex is bad, far from it.
I just think there may be other reasons that might possibly inspire people to be in a band, and to deny that is what I find cynical.

And hey, if narcistic self-importance is what it takes for someone to write great songs that I can relate to, than I'm all for it.

I'll come off of my soapbox now

User avatar
omphale
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:08 pm
Location: blue blue windows behind the stars

Postby omphale » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:45 pm

Liesbeth wrote:I'm not saying that seeking sex and/or attention cannot be a reason for people to be in bands, I'm sure it is for many, and to think so is not what I call cynical - nor do I think sex is bad, far from it.
I just think there may be other reasons that might possibly inspire people to be in a band, and to deny that is what I find cynical.

And hey, if narcistic self-importance is what it takes for someone to write great songs that I can relate to, than I'm all for it.

I'll come off of my soapbox now


ahh. so you are saying it's cynical to think there is a singular reason that all the many many many people who have started bands have done so. not that you find starting bands for the purpose of getting laid objectionable.

i think maybe the word i would go with is 'silly'. or possibly 'strangely lacking in perspective'

User avatar
meg
Mod Emeritus
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:01 am
Location: morningside
Contact:

Postby meg » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:21 pm

Liesbeth wrote:And hey, if narcistic self-importance is what it takes for someone to write great songs that I can relate to, than I'm all for it.


I think you can absolutely want attention without being hugely narcissistic or self-important, though. You could be overwhelmingly sincere and earnest in your desire to, simply, share.


Return to “Give Me a Moment”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests