Start the Day Music

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

Betty Felon

Start the Day Music

Postby Betty Felon » Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:45 am

Lately I've been listening to Bjork's "Hunter" on the train to work:
"I'm the hunter. I'll bring back the goods."

The Postal Service is awesome to listen to while walking through crowded commuter train stations. Everyone walks to the beat, in their little suits, thinking to themselves, "I'm going to work."

I also dig Akufen's "My Way", it sounds like someone turning the tuning dial on the radio....tuning the day in. yeah.

So what do you like to listen to first thing in morning?

What tunes start and shape your day?

Mr. Clark calls it the soundtrack of your life...what's the first track?
Last edited by Betty Felon on Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

woo woooo!

Postby LoveSickJerk » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:15 am

In the car to work, a local morning show or two.

At work, depending on the day, I listen to Eisley's Wonderful Things EP, simply because its gorgeous.

Before the day ends I will have listened to The Tragically Hip's Live Between Us album, simply because its amazing & energetic.

On the way home its usually Ben Folds Five's Whatever & Ever Amen, occasionally i switch up with WIPTF, or The Sheila Divine's New Parade.

the new math

Postby the new math » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:30 pm

this morning/afternoon so far it has been...

1. goldfrapp - felt mountain
2. grover washington - mister magic/feels so good
3. houston - bottom of the curve
4. christ - metaphoric reproduction mira
5. brookville - wonderfully nothing

Betty Felon

Re: woo woooo!

Postby Betty Felon » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:36 pm

LoveSickJerk wrote:In the car to work, a local morning show or two.

I used to listen to the news or the morning shows in the AM. I used to think it was important to listen to the NPR's Morning Edition every day.

But I have to say, my life has markedly improved since I stopped trying to count how many people have been blown up in the desert or what the unemployment rate is, or what godawful, unbelieveable thing GDub is doing today.

I am so much happier now that I begin my day with something personal, beautiful, or slightly fantastic. Now a noisy, grumpy, commute is a movie.

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:04 pm

two of my favourite "morning albums" are

"take offs and landings" by rilo kiley and "long distance" by ivy

for some reason, i can only really enjoy the postal service when it's dark outside.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:10 pm

Oooooo....i just ordered that rilo kiley album. I hope it rocks.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:43 pm

Betty Felon wrote:Oooooo....i just ordered that rilo kiley album. I hope it rocks.

Indeed it does, I just got it a couple weeks ago.

As far as morning albums go, it depends. For those grey, "damn I'm tired" mornings, I love to listen to The Worst You Can Do is Harm. For those *squint* "it's too fucking bright out" mornings, I listen to Instant Winner's self titled album. Lately, I've also been using Slomo Rabbit Kick's The Bass Monster Lives in the Bass Forest to start my day. For a sunny afternoon, I enjoy listening to The Long Beach Dub Allstars Wonders of the World. Those dark evenings are reserved for This Busy Monster's Fireworks.

hovering

Postby hovering » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:56 pm

metric's old world underground, where are you now? is really good "wake the fuck up" music. i listen to that when i'm driving to work or school or anywhere at an unbearably too-early-to-be-up time. but lately, i've been listening to nothing but when i pretend to fall because it is the best thing in the world and obviously, you all know it.

i guess i don't have a particular album or song or band, i just grab something random for a different day. I NEED A SYSTEM.

call me stupid

Re: Start the Day Music

Postby call me stupid » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:02 pm

Betty Felon wrote:Lately I've been listening to Bjork's "Hunter" on the train to work:
"I'm the hunter. I'll bring back the goods."

The Postal Service is awesome to listen to while walking through crowded commuter train stations. Everyone walks to the beat, in their little suits, thinking to themselves, "I'm going to work."

I also dig Akufen's "My Way", it sounds like someone turning the tuning dial on the radio....tuning the day in. yeah.

So what do you like to listen to first thing in morning?

What tunes start and shape your day?

Mr. Clark calls it the soundtrack of your life...what's the first track?

The Postal Service is amazing.

chelsea

Postby chelsea » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:23 pm

"take offs and landings" by rilo kiley is HEAVEN - you will not be disappointed. i also highly recommend their second album, "the execution of all things."

Betty Felon

Re: Start the Day Music

Postby Betty Felon » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:38 pm

call me stupid wrote:The Postal Service is amazing.

Yes they are. It took me a very very very long time to realize this. I am ashamed.

I think my original hesitancy was because last summer Give Up was being shoved down my throat by about a million wussy scenesters who looked like they stepped right out of 1987. It was really scary.

But now I love them (the postal service, not the 80's monsters) with the zealousness of a convert.

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:55 pm

chelsea wrote:"take offs and landings" by rilo kiley is HEAVEN - you will not be disappointed. i also highly recommend their second album, "the execution of all things."

Well good, because I ordered them both. They were just in Chi a few weeks ago and I've never seen an acoustic set fill that venue so fully and wonderfully.

Jenny Lewis' voice is adorable enough to make the indie rock boys stop dreaming about Amelie...

mildlyrestarted

Postby mildlyrestarted » Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:49 pm

i listen to rilo kiley almost every morning.
i saw rilo kiley (with betty felon and stephanie) on the eve of my 21st birthday before i left for seattle. it was the beginning of one of the best weeks ever. finishing it with nada surf was the icing.

Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Postby Unremarkable » Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:16 pm

Betty Felon wrote:Jenny Lewis' voice is adorable enough to make the indie rock boys stop dreaming about Amelie...

Hahaha, she has the sweetest voice I have ever heard. I fell in love after hearing one track.

hovering

Postby hovering » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:15 am

jenny lewis is the most amazing woman on the planet, it's true.
i also really enjoy watching movies she was in, circa 1986. she was STILL the cutest person in the world.

LoveSickJerk
Current Heading: Ascending

Oh The Shame Of It All

Postby LoveSickJerk » Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:21 am

Betty Felon wrote:
call me stupid wrote:The Postal Service is amazing.

Yes they are. It took me a very very very long time to realize this. I am ashamed.

I think my original hesitancy was because last summer Give Up was being shoved down my throat by about a million wussy scenesters who looked like they stepped right out of 1987. It was really scary.

But now I love them (the postal service, not the 80's monsters) with the zealousness of a convert.

I'm still having issues, along the exact lines you did. I have a rule: if my bartender likes a cd, I stay away. He has ruined many a band (treble charger, the tea party) for me. Though, now I may have to succumb to its clever wiles. Oh man, that was SO lucious jackson.

I forgot to mention I also switch up Eisley with Mandarin Dynasty's "Ave Pico" EP, simply because.

grant
wears the boots
Current Heading: West

Re: woo woooo!

Postby grant » Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:25 pm

Betty Felon wrote:
LoveSickJerk wrote:In the car to work, a local morning show or two.

I used to listen to the news or the morning shows in the AM. I used to think it was important to listen to the NPR's Morning Edition every day.

But I have to say, my life has markedly improved since I stopped trying to count how many people have been blown up in the desert or what the unemployment rate is, or what godawful, unbelieveable thing GDub is doing today.

I am so much happier now that I begin my day with something personal, beautiful, or slightly fantastic. Now a noisy, grumpy, commute is a movie.

When I can't take the NPR anymore, I either use Pimsleur's "Mandarin I" language CDs, or else listen to Lift To Experience's The Texas/Jerusalem Crossroads.

Liesbeth
Current Heading: West

Postby Liesbeth » Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:36 pm

I try not to start with a full album, because then I often cannot stop in time to leave for work. So I prefer EPs or compilations. Also the morning is when usually my husband isn't up yet, so I can play stuff he doesn't like much.

A big favourite is the Bridge EP by Wilco, 6 songs, perfect length.

And lately I've been regularly playing a comp which starts with Flagpole Sitta, which is a perfect song to start the day. I then move on to Sunset Valley's Wired Nights, The Dammitheads' Alright, Everywhere with helicopter by GbV and round off with The Bigger Lovers' Ninjasuit.
Works better than a cup of coffee.

meg
Mod Emeritus

Postby meg » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:38 pm

Nice topic.

There is a handful of albums that I listen to only while preparing to go out. It is sort of a shame for those albums, as hearing anything off of them out of that dressing-and-bailing context confuses me. Hot Hot Heat's Knock Knock Knock EP is one of those, the Franz Ferdinand record is becoming another. Chisel gets me out the door pretty fast (specifically 8AM All Day), and if lady is doing hair and make-up and prepping to go OUT out, she puts on The Clash and pretends she was born ten years earlier. Except she does not tease her hair. O no.

Endo23

Postby Endo23 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:27 pm

It sounds strange amongst all you indie rockers (no offense!) but back in the day I used to play Eminem's The Marshall Mathers LP on my way to work. Hearing the line "Bitch I'm'a kill you!" at high volume that early in the morning was like an intraveneous espresso injection--i was pretty much ready for anything work might lob my way.

It's not for everyone, I realize.

Now that I'm older, wiser, and actually enjoy my job, I like to rock some Big Star or similar pop-rock in the morn. Today it was John Vanderslice, but I'm thinking he's a little dark... especially during LA's rainy season. I mean, the song about the bird and the rifle is really unsettling. Maybe when the sunshine kicks in he'll be just what I need.

Things to avoid in the am? Azure Ray. Elliott Smith's early LPs. At least give yourself a chance to be happy, huh?
Last edited by Endo23 on Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Cattywampus”