SXSW (or not)

Talk about the band, the records, the shows.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

stephanie

SXSW (or not)

Postby stephanie » Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:51 pm

Are the Long Winters playing SXSW?

No, seriously.
Mom, why are they laughing at me?

I'm as sure as can be that they're not, but precisely ONE go-to guide [ http://www.showlistaustin.com ] has them listed.
The exact text of the lineup is "John Vanderslice/the Long Winters," and the possibility has been tabled that it may be some sort of supergroup mecha-band, much in the way of Transformers. Anyway, the set's slated for Saturday 3/20 at 3 p.m. at 33 Degrees Records. 33 Degrees says they're before Metal Urbain, showlistaustin.com says they're right before the motherloving Wrens.

Just curious about the possibility, because I'm going (alongside some of my favourite-est people ever -- holla, ladies!), and I'd love it if TLW could be there to aid and abet in my pursuit of at least one bonafide case of alcohol poisoning -- I'll have a fancy-pants music badge that'll get me all liquored up gratis. Oh, and the Long Winters' songs aren't that shabby, either, so I guess it'd be really neat to see them play! And stuff!

Any official word, band folks? Benevolent board mods? Well-informed passers-by? Much obliged.

(Love and thanks to Kathryn for the link/heads-up.)

meg
Mod Emeritus

Postby meg » Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:39 pm

Holla.

For serious, there's going to be quite the handsome Mafia-Sponsored crew in Austin this year. If the Long Winters show, I promise to wear a cute skirt. Or not, if that's preferable.

mildlyrestarted

Postby mildlyrestarted » Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:36 pm

oooh, i hate you.
(okay, not really. i'm just jealous and poor.)

think of me whilst rocking. call me and let me listen to my favorite songs via wireless transmission, k? i don't care how dorky you look. :)

John
King God, Mang

Postby John » Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:28 pm

Ooops, sorry about the whole 'not updating any aspect of our website for months on end' thing. The band is NOT going but I AM going, and am probably playing that record-store business and a couple of parties and I'm going to be heckling the Wrens in the friendliest and most admiring way and I'll be front and center for They Might Be Giants at the Barsuk showcase and now, apparently, I'll be contributing to the (further) delinquency of Stephanie and Meg in my suite at the Hilton.

Fi

Postby Fi » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:17 am

Austin - I went to this awesome pub there, called the draught house or horse or something. They had every cider on tap right along the full length of the bar and folks had carved their names in the tables. There was also a bar called Oceans 11, which served a cocktail called the Krakatoa in a volcano shaped bowl with plastic mermaids and very long straws (essential, as the drink was literally on fire). they also served $1 beers and had a nice outdoor tiki bar. I hope to see more of Austin in the daytime if I return. have fun, you lucky buggers.

mildlyrestarted

Postby mildlyrestarted » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:46 am

whoa, maybe it's better this way. i don't know that my delinquency can handle being furthered.

carlitos

Postby carlitos » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:16 am

Austin is the HQ of the natural foods juggernaut I work for... Ive *got* to figure out how to get them to foot the bill for me to take a trip to next years SXSW...

omphale

Postby omphale » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:46 am

carlitos -- central market?

yeah, the draught house rocks. they have $2 pints of guinness every monday night.

well, i guess maybe i'll see y'all there! although, i'm one broke-ass biatch right now, so i'll most likely just be hangin out on the streets with the one-man-band banjo dude and drinking lone stars at lovejoys.

meg
Mod Emeritus

Postby meg » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:16 pm

Oh, heckling...Johnsing...Hilton...what a dream! SXSW, you big lug. It's ON.

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:41 pm

man, i can't believe i'm gonna missing all this goodness...and to think, Sir Roderick, just a few hundred miles away...but alas, i will be burning me ass in hawaii

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:24 pm

I am grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeen.

Have fun fun fun!

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:22 am

i will likely be rrrrreeeeeeeeed, but fun will be had

Betty Felon

Postby Betty Felon » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:18 pm

hmmm.... I'm not sure you can really whine the word "red". but good shot at it.

I'm jealous of all you. I'm experiencing insane levels of jealousy. jealous jealous jealous. I think I should go to church or something.

Nopic, are you going to a cow smashing convention?

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:21 pm

heeheehee...uh, no.

But I will bust out the bikini, baby!

and please, call me hutch. Although I may have to change my name after the Starsky n Hutch movie comes out...

I'm jealous talkin to all my friends that are goin to SXSW, tho'

carlitos

Postby carlitos » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:29 pm

omphale wrote:carlitos -- central market?

Whole Foods

Fi

Postby Fi » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:13 pm

no pic wrote:But I will bust out the bikini, baby!

oh no, "hutch", we might have to call you Janet. ;-)

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:17 am

note that i did not say "bust out of", but there are plenty of nudie beaches there

omphale

Postby omphale » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:10 am

no pic wrote:note that i did not say "bust out of", but there are plenty of nudie beaches there

whoa, there, girl! long winters fans everywhere are now doing emergency drool clean up on their keyboards.

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:50 am

but it's true! if you are brave enough to hike the entire Na Pali Cliffs, on the other side is a great nudie beach. The is no road there-the coast is too severe, and the cliffs are navigated by the huge boulders that the ancient Hawaiians somehow lugged up there eons ago. The view is fantastic, provided you don't fall off (seriously). And, for your trouble, you get to see boobies. Yippee.

the hutch

Postby the hutch » Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:51 am

but, despite all this, part of me would rather be getting seriously drunk in Austin w/ y'all

Return to “Give Me a Moment”