Can I do this?

A repository for everything else. Introductions, off-topic threads, testing and so on. When in doubt, post it here.

Moderators: Moderators Emeritus, Moderators

shacker

Can I do this?

Post by shacker »

Greetings!

Since we respect the musicianship of The Long Winters as well as the musical tastes of their fans, s h a c k e r would like to share their music to this community. We invite everyone to visit our website: www.shackermusic.com
Sign the guestbook and let us know what you think!

With Peace & Love,
s h a c k e r

www.shackermusic.com
Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Re: Can I do this?

Post by Merlin »

shacker wrote:let us know what you think!
Well as long as you're asking, Shacker: personally, I think it's a little cheesy for your first and only post on another band's board to be an ad for your own band.

One drive-by post sprinkled with random ass-kissing doesn't do a lot to advance the conversation.
shacker

agreed

Post by shacker »

Yeah, it is a little cheesy......but it was pretty late and I didn't have too much to say. I had to work the night The Long Winters were with Nada Surf in Omaha, NE, so I couldn't really comment on that show (ps two of my favorite barsuk bands). I didn't really starting digging The Long Winters until a few months ago....now I can't stop listening to them. Personally, I just found this board last night. Did you visit www.shackermusic.com ?
ChadyzGroove
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by ChadyzGroove »

you are not neat you don't even list the Long winters as one of the bands you recommend truly some shameless self promotion that needs to be stopped. you remind me more of a young saddam hussein than george harrison
trashcan_afterthought

Post by trashcan_afterthought »

you sound like weezer, im still deciding on whether i mean that in a good way or a bad way
Unremarkable
Current Heading: East

Re: agreed

Post by Unremarkable »

shacker wrote:Did you visit www.shackermusic.com ?
I will if your post count gets over 50, without spamming.
lucy

Post by lucy »

Personally, I think that the auto-post method of promotion seen on some types of board are indeed shameless. However if this Shacker fella is in fact a real individual, then perhaps it is better to reserve judgement. I myself have found some good really good music in the most unusual of places, just following the online trail.
In this day and age where "indie" doesn't really necessarily mean what it stands for anymore, I am glad to see people doing it on their own. I mean if you truly believe in your music who better to spread the word. In my city par example, there is no college station nor are there independant music shows on regular mainstream radio. For me and many others like me, the internet is pretty much it as far as introduction to new music goes.
No disrespect Merlin, I can empathize with you, and others who work predominantly online, it must be a hassle sometimes as the world of spamming grows out of control. It is important to filter, but also important to remember there are real people out there on the other end of the keyboard, and maybe they're putting themselves out there the best way they know how (even if it's not e-kosher). Of course I could be wrong, and it's probably 7/8's shite. Still. Thoughts?
Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Post by Merlin »

No disrespect taken, Lucy. Your point about learning about new music is well taken, and there are certainly plenty of ways that can and should happen here.

But, in fairness, the 120ish other people contributing to this board are equally real people too, and in my opinion, they deserve the respect of a minimal community contribution before being subjected to a bold-faced ad as an inaugural post.

I'm not opposed to talking about other bands by a long shot--even if it's someone's own. Far from it.

I just wouldn't like to see a rash of people registering explicitly to flog their own project. That's cheesy and inconsiderate on any board, regardless of how swell the actual product might be.
lucy

Post by lucy »

I agree with your stance completely Merlin. I was just pontificating on a subject that has often intrigued me. The exchange of information via the internet still baffles me (not to sound like an old timer). How is advertising ones band on a board, different from say linking to an online journal. Is that not advertising ones self? Save of course the question of commerce. Which of course is what it all boils down to in the end, so I guess I've answered my own question. Just trying to get it talkin' in here!
lucy

Post by lucy »

Adendum; Mr. Shacker would definitely appear more couth had he ingratiated himself further in the happening of this board. Agreed.
meg
Mod Emeritus

Post by meg »

I am very much behind Merlin on this point, and the fact that Mr. Shacker's second post ALSO included the advertising URL has done nothing to soften my view of him.

The difference between his advertisement and, say, my inclusion of a personal-domain-URL in my profile is that the URL in my profile is there for anyone who wants to learn more about me. I didn't arrive at this board demanding that everyone go there. A place for everything and advertising in its place...if Mr. Shacker were a regular contributor and his band's URL were in his profile, while, I might like the man enough to hit that. This is a board for the discussion, not the pushing.
shacker

Wow!

Post by shacker »

Yes, I am a real person as evident by the pictures on the site. It is very hard to try to reach the masses, but message boards via the internet happen to be a very practical means. I am just trying to get our music exposed to people who may otherwise not hear it. Besides, is this not a board for anything? I am not trying to ruin peoples lives over a post, just presenting new music. Like I said in my last post, I have just recently (within the last couple months) become a fan of the LW. As soon as we update the site again, I'll put a link to this site -- not a problem. In regards to one post, I didn't realize Saddam made music?? :o)
For those of you that want to visit the site, go for it. For those who don't....then don't. Pretty simple. By no means was I trying to offend anyone, nor would I ever spam message boards. Spamming is a mindless act done at random. The links that are on our website are the only rooms I have posted -- simply because those are our influences.
Thanks Lucy!

With Peace & Love,
Jaimie
Merlin
Kaiser of Nerds

Post by Merlin »

It's not a question of whether or not you're a "person," Jaimie. It's a question of basic board etiquette that would likely be pointed out--and probably much less kindly--anywhere else people gather on the web to talk.

On your own hosted and paid-for site, you're certainly free to encourage people to stop in, leave an ad, then dash, if that's your preference. But, it's not what we're going for here, and I'm happy to keep saying so if it discourages other folks from repeating your gaffe.

You're certainly welcome here, and I hope you enjoy a long, ad-free tenure with the lovable nerd demimonde inhabiting our fora.

Let's move on or take it offline, though, okay? PM me for further discussion or concerns, please.
ChadyzGroove
Current Heading: Ascending

Post by ChadyzGroove »

oh by the way everyone my website is.....